Lenovo ThinkSystem DM5000H
Lenovo ThinkSystem DM5000H is a unified, hybrid storage system that is designed to provide performance, simplicity, capacity, security, and high availability for medium enterprises. Powered by the ONTAP software, ThinkSystem DM5000H delivers enterprise-class storage management capabilities with a wide choice of host connectivity options, flexible drive configurations, and enhanced data management features. The ThinkSystem DM5000H is a perfect fit for a wide range of enterprise workloads, including data analytics, artificial intelligence, engineering and design, enterprise applications, and other storage I/O-intensive applications.
ThinkSystem DM5000H models are 2U rack-mount controller enclosures that include two controllers, 64 GB RAM and 8 GB battery-backed NVRAM (32 GB RAM and 4 GB NVRAM per controller), and 24 SFF hot-swap drive bays (2U24 form factor). Controllers provide universal 1/10 GbE NAS/iSCSI or 4/8/16 Gb Fibre Channel (FC) ports, or 1/10 GbE RJ-45 ports for host connectivity.
A single ThinkSystem DM5000H Storage Array scales up to 144 drives with the attachment of Lenovo ThinkSystem DM240S 2U24 SFF, DM120S 2U12, and DM600S 4U60 LFF Expansion Enclosures. It also offers flexible drive configurations with the choice of 2.5-inch (SFF) and 3.5-inch (LFF) form factors, 7.2 K rpm NL SAS hard disk drives (HDDs), and SAS solid-state drives (SSDs).
The ThinkSystem DM5000H offers the following key features and benefits:
- Unified, hybrid storage with dual active/active controller configurations for high availability and performance.
- Improved performance and data protection with RAID-DP and RAID-TEC, as well as support for traditional RAID 4.
- Flexible host connectivity to match diverse client needs with support for unified NAS and SAN storage protocols, including 1/10 GbE NAS and iSCSI, and 8/16 Gb Fibre Channel connectivity.
- 12 Gb SAS drive-side connectivity with multipathing with up to 24x 2.5-inch small form factor (SFF) drives in the 2U24 SFF controller and expansion enclosures, up to 12x 3.5-inch large form factor (LFF) drives in the 2U12 LFF expansion enclosures, or up to 60x 3.5-inch LFF drives in the 4U60 LFF expansion enclosures.
- Scalability to up to 144 SFF or 120 LFF and 24 SFF drives with the attachment of the ThinkSystem DM240S 2U24 SFF, DM120S 2U12 LFF, or DM600S 4U60 LFF expansion enclosures to satisfy growing needs for storage capacity and performance.
- Flexibility in storing data on capacity-optimized SAS SSDs, performance-optimized enterprise SAS HDDs, or capacity-optimized enterprise NL SAS HDDs; mixing and matching drive types within a single system to perfectly meet performance and capacity requirements for various workloads.
- Acceleration of read-centric workloads with the high-speed, low-latency onboard NVMe SSD caching.
- A comprehensive set of advanced storage management features with the ONTAP software, including SSD read cache, hybrid storage pools, snapshots, volume copy, quality of service, thin provisioning, compression, deduplication, encryption, disk-based backup, application- and virtual machine-aware backup, quick data recovery, clustering, synchronous replication, asynchronous replication, and up to 84 drives.
- A core set of storage management features with the ONTAP Fundamentals software, including SSD read cache, hybrid storage pools, snapshots, quality of service, thin provisioning, compression, deduplication, encryption, quick data recovery, and asynchronous replication.
- Optional licensed functions, including WORM (write once, read many) data protection (SnapLock) and object storage tiering (FabricPool).
- Scale-out clustering of up to 12 ThinkSystem DM Series storage systems for NAS connectivity or up to 6 DM Series storage systems for SAN connectivity.
- Intuitive, web-based GUI for easy system setup and management.
- Lenovo XClarity support for centralized systems management of Lenovo x86 servers, switches, and storage, which provides automated agent-less discovery, inventory, monitoring, and additional platform-specific functions across multiple systems.
- Designed for 99.9999% availability with redundant hot-swap components, including controllers and I/O modules, power supplies, and non-disruptive firmware upgrades.
- Certified storage for Oracle VM.
- Certified storage for Citrix XenServer: http://hcl.xenserver.org/storage/910/Lenovo_DM_Series.
The ThinkSystem DM5000H supports the following drives:
- 2U24 SFF capacity-optimized SSDs: 960 GB, 3.84 TB, 7.68 TB, and 15.36 TB
- 2U24 SFF enterprise SAS HDDs: 900 GB, 1.2 TB, and 1.8 TB 10K rpm
- 2U12 LFF and 4U60 LFF high-capacity nearline HDDs: 4 TB, 8 TB, and 10 TB 7.2K rpm
All drives are dual-port and hot-swappable.
The ThinkSystem DM5000H supports attachment of the following ThinkSystem DM Series expansion enclosures:
- Up to 5 ThinkSystem DM240S 2U24 SFF enclosures.
- Up to 10 ThinkSystem DM120S 2U12 LFF enclosures.
- Up to 2 ThinkSystem DM600S 4U60 LFF enclosures.
- A combination of the DM240S, DM120S, and DM600S enclosures for a maximum of 144 drives.
Customers can intermix 2U24 SFF, 2U12 LFF, and 4U60 LFF expansion enclosures behind a 2U24 controller enclosure. This configuration delivers the added flexibility to mix 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch drives within a single system (but not within the enclosure).
More drives and expansion enclosures are designed to be dynamically added with virtually no downtime, which helps to quickly and seamlessly respond to ever-growing capacity demands.
The ThinkSystem DM5000H offers high levels of system and data availability with the following technologies:
- Dual-active controllers (high availability pair) with automatic load balancing and failover
- Mirrored, battery-backed controller NVRAM
- Dual-port SAS HDDs and SSDs with automatic drive failure detection and rebuild
- Redundant, hot-swappable and customer replaceable hardware components, including SFP+ transceivers, controllers, I/O modules, power supplies, cooling modules (4U60 LFF only), and drives
- Automated failover for the data path between the host and the drives with multipathing
- Non-disruptive controller and drive firmware upgrades
- Scale-out clustering