Lenovo D1224 Direct Attached Storage
The Lenovo Storage D1212 and D1224 Disk Expansion Enclosures offer 12 Gbps SAS direct-attached storage expansion capabilities that are designed to provide simplicity, speed, scalability, security, and high availability for small to large businesses. The D1212 and D1224 deliver enterprise-class storage technology in a cost-effective solution with flexible drive configurations and RAID or JBOD (non-RAID) host connectivity.
The D1212 and D1224 expansion units are designed for a wide range of workloads, including big data and analytics, video surveillance, media streaming, private clouds, file and print serving, e-mail and collaboration, and databases. They also well-suited for software defined storage (SDS) and Windows Server solutions with Storage Spaces.
Key features and benefits provided by the D1212 and D1224 storage expansion enclosures include:
- Versatile, scalable storage expansion with dual Environmental service Module (ESM) configurations for high availability and performance
- Flexible host connectivity to match diverse client needs for direct attach storage with support for 12 Gb SAS RAID adapters for advanced data protection or 12 Gb SAS Host Bus Adapter (HBA) for maximum JBOD performance
- 12 Gb SAS drive-side connectivity with support for 12x 3.5-inch large form factor (LFF) drives in the D1212 enclosure or 24x 2.5-inch small form factor (SFF) drives in the D1224 enclosure
- Scalability of up to 96 LFF or 192 SFF drives per RAID adapter or HBA with the attachment of up to eight D1212 or D1224 daisy-chained expansion enclosures, or a combination of both, to satisfy growing needs for storage capacity and performance
- Flexibility in storing data on high performance SAS SSDs, performance-optimized enterprise SAS HDDs, or capacity-optimized enterprise NL SAS HDDs; mixing and matching drive types and form factors on a single RAID adapter or HBA to perfectly meet performance and capacity requirements for various workloads
- Self-encrypting drives with a supported RAID adapter allow clients to secure their sensitive data and to comply with various security regulations when required
- Support multiple host attachments and SAS zoning for storage partitioning
The D1212 and D1224 are designed to support the complete range of data storage requirements, from highly utilized applications to high-capacity, low usage applications.
The following 3.5-inch SAS drives are supported by the D1212:
- High performance SSDs (10 drive writes per day [DWD]): 400 GB
- Mainstream SSDs (3 DWD): 800 GB
- High-capacity, archival-class nearline HDDs: 2 TB, 4 TB, 6 TB, 8 TB, 10 TB, 12 TB, 14 TB, and 16 TB 7.2K rpm
- High-capacity, archival-class nearline self-encrypting HDDs: 4 TB 7.2K rpm
The following 2.5-inch SAS drives are supported by the D1224:
- Capacity optimized SSDs (1 DWD): 3.84 TB and 7.68 TB
- Mainstream SSDs (3 DWD): 800 GB and 1.6 TB
- High performance SSDs (10 DWD): 400 GB, 800 GB, and 1.6 TB
- Performance-optimized, enterprise class HDDs
- 300 GB, 600 GB, and 900 GB 15K rpm
- 600 GB, 1.2 TB, 1.8 TB, and 2.4 TB 10K rpm
- Performance-optimized, enterprise class self-encrypting HDDs: 1.2 TB 10K rpm
- High-capacity, archival-class nearline HDDs: 1 TB and 2 TB 7.2K rpm
Additional drives and expansion units are designed to be dynamically added with virtually no downtime (operating system dependent), helping to quickly and seamlessly respond to growing capacity demands.
The D1212 and D1224 expansion enclosures are designed to offer high levels of system and data availability with the following technologies:
- Dual ESMs provide redundant paths from a supported RAID controller to the drives in the enclosures for I/O load balancing and failover
- Dual-port drives (both HDDs and SSDs) with automatic drive failure detection and RAID rebuild with global hot spares with a supported RAID adapter
- Redundant hardware, including host ports, ESMs, and power and cooling modules (PCMs)
- Hot-swappable and customer replaceable components, including ESMs, PCMs, and drives